Hemant Mehta is also known as the Friendly Atheist, a blogger, speaker, activist and fellow podcaster who believes in civil discourse and advocates atheism in a positive way. In this, Bart finds a kindred spirit of sorts, and a shared mission.
Here’s what you’ll hear in this episode:
- Our relationship to technology and whether we are more or less connected by it
- What is Hemant’s mission in the world?
- How to disagree without being a jerk
- How to win friends and influence people
- Stories of respectful conversations between people on different sides
- Can a secular person be ‘religious’?
- How the secular/atheist movement makes a move to positivity and meaning
- Why Bart calls himself a humanist and why Hemant may end up rebranding
- Bart’s story of an agender student and using its preferred pronouns
- Infusing the word ‘humanist’ with new meaning