Here’s Bart’s interview with a renowned neuroscientist who has a fascinating personal journey and ended up caring deeply about things like the power of compassion and altruism. James Doty is the author of Into The Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon’s Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart. On this episode of Humanize Me, James and Bart talk about:
- How loving and caring people who don’t believe in God are a challenge to some religious ideas
- How a guy that was such a preternatural and unexpected success lost it all
- What James learned that put a stop to the misery
- How the benefits of giving only work when it’s done with truly good motivations
- How much are we determined by our genes and how much can we choose our actions and motivations throughout our life?
- Why heaping shame on people for thoughts over which they have no control is an unhelpful exercise
- The capacity of humans to change their physiology mentally and how it’s a challenge to recognize the dark side of our humanity
- Kindness and tribalism
- How our brain is like a flip phone in an iPhone world, and needs help
- An existential disagreement over whether society will collapse from lack of sustainability or whether optimism is more justified
- Does the future of humanity matter, and how?
Enjoy! Get in touch with Bart! Grab a copy of James’s book HERE.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]